We are transforming health visiting and school nursing services in Lancashire.
The ongoing improvements are being spearheaded by Michelle Lee who started her career as a nurse with the NHS in 1979.
Now, more than 40 years later, she is Managing Director for us in the county.
Lancashire Healthy Young People and Families Service, run on behalf of Lancashire County Council, launched in April 2019, bringing together more than 500 staff from two former providers.
And we have promised to deliver a three-year transformation programme to make sure children, young people and their families are able to access a consistent, quality service that draws on innovation and gets the best out of its health professionals.
Michelle said: “Over the past 40 years, I have seen many changes in the methods and the technologies available to nurses and other health professionals, and of course now, during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have had to find innovative new ways to drive forward our transformation so that we can continue to provide services to families during these difficult times. We’ve already taken some really positive steps and I am excited to watch the service develop further over the coming months.”
As well as her many years working on the front line, which included roles as an adult and paediatric nurse, Michelle has also undertaken senior roles where transformation and innovation have been key to success.
She was an early advocate of integrated care during her time at Oldham Community Healthcare Services and implemented one of the first nationally recognised integrated healthcare team models across community and acute care whilst at Bridgewater Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.
Michelle has never lost her first love of nursing and her passion to deliver high quality, effective patient care and truly believes for that to be effective it has to be integrated with care being delivered by the right person, in the right place, with the right skills and technology.
She said: “There is one thing that remains constant however we change our ways of working, and that is the personal and caring element of the work we do day in, day out, to help children and young people to get the best start in life and to provide dedicated support to their parents and carers. We are absolutely committed to making a positive difference to families across Lancashire.”
Since Lancashire Healthy Young People and Families Service launched in April 2019, we have:
- Brought together more than 500 colleagues from two previous providers in to one single service.
- Established three Hubs in Preston (Central), Burnley (East) and Lancaster (North) as well as multiple spokes for colleagues to work from.
- Created a virtual Single Point of Access (SPA) which allows administration colleagues to work remotely and more efficiently.
- Introduced mobile working with the support of the EMIS system so that colleagues can work more flexibly.
- Launched virtual groups for parents and carers to access advice on a range of topics as an alternative to attending face-to-face appointments and sessions. These started during the COVID-19 pandemic, alongside the use of virtual consultations, and will continue to be made available in the long term.
- Developed a dedicated Looked After Children team to co-ordinate and carry out the best care for looked after children in Lancashire.
- Led on an assessment that saw LHYPFS’s infant feeding team, Lancashire County Council’s Children and Family Wellbeing Service and Families and Babies (FAB) receive the gold standard from UNICEF’s Baby Friendly Initiative.
If you would like to find out more about Lancashire Healthy Young People and Families Service, please visit https://lancsyoungpeoplefamilyservice.co.uk/ or like Lancashire Healthy Young People and Families Service on Facebook.
You can contact the service on 0300 247 0040 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org from Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.
Find out more about how we’re supporting children like Alfie develop their communication skills through the use of technological devices.
Podiatrist Charlie has set up a new initiative for her colleagues which goes above and beyond to promote positive wellbeing in the work environment.
Find out more about this fantastic achievement, as we continue to transform services to change lives.
We’ve partnered with Wagestream to introduce a range of innovative services that help boost our employees’ financial wellbeing.